NOTICE OF PREPARATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT
AND PUBLIC SCOPING MEETING
Key West International Airport (EYW)
Monroe County will hold a Public Scoping Meeting on an Environmental Assessment (EA) to evaluate construction of a bypass taxiway, expansion of commercial and general aviation aprons, and security fencing improvements at Key West International Airport. Once completed, the EA will be submitted to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for the agency’s decision to either prepare an Environmental Impact Statement or issue a Finding of No Significant Impact. To ensure all issues and public concerns related to the Proposed Action are identified and considered in the EA, the County invites the public to attend the meeting to learn about the proposed improvements and provide comments. The Public Scoping Meeting date and location is provided below. Parking is available in the short-term public parking lot. Parking tickets will be validated in the meeting room.
September 19, 2019
5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Airport Administration Conference Room at Key West International Airport
3491 South Roosevelt Boulevard
Key West, FL 33040
PROPOSED ACTION: Monroe County proposes to improve the layout of the airfield within the physical boundary of the Airport to enhance operational safety and efficiency. Project components associated with the Proposed Action include:
* Construct a bypass taxiway by extending Taxiway A 274 feet to the west to provide access to the end of pavement at the Runway 9 end for departing aircraft, which would add approximately 3,300 square yards of asphalt. The extension would improve the efficiency of aircraft departures from Runway 9.
* Expand the commercial aircraft parking apron by constructing approximately 13,200 square yards of pavement. The expanded apron would address safety and security concerns associated with the congested condition of the apron during peak periods.
* Expand the General Aviation (GA) apron (overflow parking ramp) by approximately 5,400 square yards to accommodate additional overflow parking of transient and based aircraft. The proposed apron would include two connector taxiways to Taxiway A.
* Install 2,700 linear feet of new security fence along the north boundary of the airfield to replace the existing non-standard fencing in an area identified in FAA design standards to be free of permanent objects to enhance the safety of aircraft operations. The proposed fence would consist of barriers implemented across a salt pond and in adjacent mangroves to deter kayakers and canoers from entering the airfield.
The following are connected and enabling actions to the Proposed Action:
* Improve Taxiway B by removing approximately 2,300 square yards of pavement.
*Relocate a restricted-access Vehicle Service Road on the airfield to provide access to the expanded GA apron by removing approximately 1,900 square yards of roadway pavement and constructing 1,600 square yards of new roadway pavement.
PURPOSE OF PUBLIC SCOPING MEETING: The meeting will provide an opportunity for the public to learn about the proposed airport improvements and to provide comments concerning the Proposed Action; the purpose and need for the Proposed Action; alternatives to the Proposed Action; and potential environmental effects to be analyzed in the EA. The scoping meeting will be held in an informal open house format (no formal presentation). Representatives from Monroe County and the study team will be available to talk with citizens about the environmental review. Graphics will be on display so citizens can review project details and attendees will have an opportunity to provide written comments on the scope and content of the EA.
ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT: The EA will be prepared in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Council on Environmental Quality Regulations (20 Code of Federal Regulations 1500-1509), and procedures described in FAA Order 1050.1F, Environmental Impacts: Policies and Procedures, and FAA Order 5050.4B, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Implementing Instructions for Airport Actions. This Notice also serves to notify the public that this EA process will satisfy the public notice and comment requirements of Executive Order 11990, Protection of Wetlands; DOT Order 5660.1A, Preservation of the Nation’s Wetlands; Executive Order 11988, Floodplain Management; and DOT Order 5650.2, Floodplain Management and Protection. Once prepared, the EA will be made available for public and agency review and comment.
SCOPING COMMENTS: Comments can be submitted via email (KeyWestEA@ricondo.com) or mailed to the following address:
Ricondo & Associates, Inc.
20 North Clark Street, Suite 1500
Chicago, Illinois 60602
Comments must be postmarked no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 30, 2019.
ADA ASSISTANCE: If you are a person with a disability who needs special accommodation in order to participate in this meeting, please contact the County Administrator’s Office by calling (305) 292-4441, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., no later than five (5) calendar days prior to the scheduled meeting; if you are hearing- or voice-impaired, call 711.